SANTA MONICA AND VENICE BEACH

SANTA MONICA AND VENICE BEACH
THE SEXY 60S, MEMORIES OF GOOD TIMES

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

SANTA FE TO LOS ANGELES FOR A BEACH WEEKEND 1960S








One of the last Santa Fe passenger trains on its way to San Diego. This photo is not one I took. I used Wikipedia for this classic memory. If memory serves me correctly, it was in 1971 when Amtrak took over this route.




My memory serves me right when I remember the weekend trips I took from San Diego to Los Angeles on this coastal train. Sitting and sipping a drink, I was totally fascinated by the beauty of the coast. What a great trip, beginning with the train ride, then getting out in Los Angeles and making my way toward Santa Monica on the "big blue bus." (Photo of Venice Beach above is not mine, it is one I downloaded from Wikipedia and is in the public domain.)





Once I reached Santa Monica, I would rent a cheap motel room for about $9 per night. It would become my personal "beach house" for the weekend. I would shower, lay my threads out on the bed, figuring out which outfit I would wear when I began my bar hopping hunt after sunset. Usually, khaki trousers with a black polo shirt, yes, that would be cool. Shoes? Always wore the brown suede Hush Puppies.




So, having decided that part of my first night, I would fix myself a drink. Vodka over icecubes mixed with a cold can of pop from the vending machine down the outside hallway.





Yes, I felt relaxed as the vodka calmed the nerves in the back of my neck. As I sipped my drink, I peered out my window facing the beach, noting every bikini-clad young lady who passed by on her way to the sandy beach only a few hundred feet away. Yes, those were the days, my friends.

No comments: